Snow...

So we live in Victoria for the moderate climate and (if you discount the cost to live here), easy living. So its funny when we sometimes get walloped by mother nature. We awoke Tuesday to find about a foot of snow on the ground. Snow day you say? Not for this hearty Albertan. I merely put one more roll into the cuff of the jeans and hopped on the Xross bike. It was so deep that my feet were buried at the bottom of each pedal stroke. But with no tracks anywhere it was fun and rather easy to ride. What wasn’t easy was shoveling the super heavy wet snow to make a path to the front door at work. But I got’er done. Needless to say it has been a little slow around Victoria with all the snow. It feels like I am driving around in Alberta because it is actually cold(ish) as well. And let me tell you I don’t miss it much.



Mical dragged me out Saturday to try and ride in this 0degree snowy weather and let me be honest. For some reason I was very grumpy at the prospect of it. So we left and I was crabby, pedaling up the road a truck honks and I get more irritable, flipping him off and trying to chase him down and give him hell. But the snow is so sharp I can’t keep my eyes open to see where I am going. Trying to warm up on the slushy, salty roads isn’t helping my glee factor. As we turn the corner into Francis King we see Drew, Russ and Jon so we tag on with them and play in the snow. The trails are in surprisingly good shape and my attitude starts to turn. Anyone who knows me can attest I am not a roadie, so miserable time on road sections make me pretty grumpy. Thankfully we are never that far away from trail so the “grump” doesn’t stay long. Skipping through Francis King, across to Centennial and across Viaduct grabbing traction were we can, trying not to break through the ice in other spots It was a pretty good snow ride if I do say. We peeled off to the dump as they went home. Heading up Executive trail making fresh tracks was pretty cool. I was again surprised at the amount of traction. Bottom to top without so much as a spin. There really wasn’t much snow in the trail network but in the open it was pretty deep. All in all it was a 3 hr ride that with the extra effort of navigating through the snow felt like 5hrs. But it left me happy and cooked after being grumpy and cold. I *heart* bikes. Thanks to Mical for dealing with my emotional turrets!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1st Annual Leechtown Invtational

dad

Rest Day